The Texas mask mandate ends finally on March 10, 2021. Moreover, businesses in the state are also receiving mass approval for reopening fully. The only condition, in that case, is to ensure no hospital in the area is treating a large number of COVID infected patients.
According to the Texas Governor, Greg Abbott, the liberty he gives to the people is to let the families and businesses understand their destiny. After this, they have to be ready to face the consequences, if any.
Health experts are not entirely on the same page because they suggest a mask mandate is still essential. It is the best way of containing the spread of coronavirus and social distancing and washing hands frequently.
Several Democratic leaders are calling this decision dangerous. President Joe Biden also feels this may become too risky and is a huge mistake again. On the other hand, three out of the four covid advisors of Governor Greg Abbott say they won’t take responsibility.
Health experts are unaware of the Texas mask mandate announcement.
They are revealing that the governor did not consult with them directly about the matter before announcing the withdrawal of the mask mandate. However, Travis County and Austin officials are defying Abbott’s decision.
As a result, they are announcing local guidelines that say wearing masks is mandatory. On the contrary, General Ken Paxton, a Texas Attorney, is questioning the defiance challenging the officials of Austin and Travis County of legal actions. However, the district judge supports the latter and allows them to implement the mandate at least till March 206, 2021. After this date, there will be a trial.
In his defense, Greg Abbott says that Texas at least is in a completely different situation presently compared to 2020. Currently, there is an extensive facility of proper treatment, vaccines, and protective equipment. However, Texas is still trying to cope with the terrible winter surge in the number of infections.
The same claimed several lives, and the condition of the local ICUs across Texas was overwhelming too. Besides, Abbott’s Texas mask mandate ending decision comes out at a time when the average per day death figure is a massive 200. Relaxation of restrictions during such situations is undoubtedly a bad idea, according to all experts.
What will happen now that Greg Abbott makes the announcement?
Here is a list of what relaxation of restrictions will mean for the people of Texas.
- Texas will not be obliged to wear masks in public for the first time after the situation in summer 2020.
- College campuses, courts, and school boards may still keep the mask mandate intact. The local government may also find the same essential.
- Any legal protection against the violation of the mask rule calls for relaxation after the announcement.
- Several business owners feel that wearing masks is still essential. On the contrary, some think they have no say and no power to oppose the governor’s announcement.
- The government permits all businesses to resume with 100% capacity. However, the final call will be of business owners, and they may choose to do otherwise.
- The people in areas with hospitals treating many covid infected patients may choose to pull back their business activities fully or partially.
- Families and closed ones of inmates may again start visiting them at the municipal and county jails.
- The state parks are now allowed to return with their opening procedures with 100% capacity.